9.29.2009

Ten Digits

I don't know very much about toes. I'm not an orthopedist, and I don't really have any interest in becoming one, so the subject of toes is one that is mostly a guessing game.

Thanks my High School Anatomy class, I know that the bones are called phalanges and are attached to the metatarsals. I'm assuming as far as bones go, they don't produce as much blood as something like a femur or shin bone, if only because of their comparative size. That being said, if you ever have to use parts of a human skeleton as a weapon, pick one of those over a phalange. I wouldn't expect a horrific scenario like that to occur any time soon, but in seems to come up every now and then in the movies.

A lot of people seem to think the pinky toe is useless. I would agree, but if you compare the importance of the pinky toe to something like your middle toes, I think the scale tips toward the little guy. He (or she) is doing basically the same thing as the big toe as far as balance goes, and really you could just lump those other three in the middle together. It deserves a better reputation, in my opinion.

I've also been told that if your second toe is larger than your big toe (they're next to each other), you're going to go insane at some point. I heard that when I was around 13, so I've been watching growth since then. It's just about even, so I'm a potential powder keg of madness. Potentially. But really, who isn't?