10.01.2009

Pan-Shaped Soul Cakes

I have no affiliation to the site, but I just discovered SoulPancake. Despite the meliorative connotation that I think the word 'discovered' has, I haven't actually looked at it too much just yet and don't know if it's any good. I do love The Office though, and Rainn Wilson by affiliation, who helped create the website. He introduces it by saying:
"I am sick of spirituality being airy-fairy, hippy-dippy, and precious. I want to have a debate about life's big questions. I want to de-lamify talking about God and religion. SoulPancake is where spirituality and creativity meet."
I like the idea, though I've never enjoyed arguing or debating on the interweb. It's just not a good idea. There's a variety of terrible, kind of funny or introspective metaphors I could use to describe that whole process, but I'll stick with "I've never enjoyed arguing or debating on the interweb."

Despite that, it does pose a couple really interesting 'challenges' on the first page, such as: Write down your age. Use that many words to sum up your life so far. That sounds a bit more constructive, and I really like the idea. Without thinking too much about it, I'm 25 and I'll say:
"I try to live life the way I want to. It's been hard discovering what that means, but I think I'm on the right track."
There're an awful lot of questions though, and you can chew on 'em here. A couple are definitely loaded, like If there's a God, why would he have created atheists?, which usually turn me off. Not because I hate to debate that kind of thing, I don't at all, but because the dialogue is just sure to degrade into something I'd read on a pundit forum. It's nice to find something on the internet that makes you think though, and so I'll bookmark it if only for that. I don't think much when I'm here. Seriously.